Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm not gonna lie to you, that first night home was not easy


We're talking the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan kind of not easy. Milo's crying woke Henry, who would in turn cry out from his room, "My baby! My baby! Daddy need to see my baby!" It was an all night pee and poo show that included ten diaper changes (all tossed into a pile on the floor of course), one change of bed sheets, three Tylenol with codeine, six Advil, and daddy traveling back and forth between bedrooms, occasionally bringing in Henry so he could see that mommy was not hurting his baby. Milo and I worked on our breast feeding issues as I prayed we would make it through the night. We did.

In the morning I woke early to survey the damage. In spite of everything the room looked so sweet in the sunlight. All of my Althoff men were strewn about the bed amidst the discarded batteries from the nightstand light and all of the baby puke clothing. I began formulating my plan of attack for night number two. I was hopeful for the new day and thankful for the love explosion that Milo has brought to our home. I took in a deep breath and then stepped right into the middle of mount diaper on my way to the bathroom to clean poop off of my arm.

7 Comments:

Blogger LeftyMama said...

Oh, girl! You are bringing me back to those HARD early weeks with Samson home when every night felt like an endurance event. There were a lot of tears, and a lot of weird hours of dancing in the dark (sometimes the only thing to calm our little guy).

You are such a strong, wise woman (and have such a fantastic partner with you). You all will get through this part sooner than it seems.

Sending big hugs!!!!

P.S. If this turns out to be a reflux/cow milk protein sensitivity issue, I'd be happy to share everything we learned when we went through it.

September 30, 2008 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I think we could have fifty children, and that first night would be equally chaotic and confusing, each and every time.

September 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

You and Greg handle parenting with hope and good humor. I hope it gets easier. It has to. So sweet that Henry is concerned about his baby. He was ready to be a big brother.

September 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

It's already gotten easier, we had to wake him up at 2:30am last night to eat.

Picture me, waking up in a panic, saying "Kelsey! We need to wake him up, it's too soon for him to sleep through the night! (I thought it was later than 2:30am)"

This kid is the best baby...

October 1, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Tears!! I am working Hurricane Ike in Texas and am laughing so hard I am crying. Mount Diaper....
oh, the humanity...

Love,
Mormor

October 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

i didn't even see milo in the picture the first time! and greg is absolutely right, the first night, (or months given the baby's temperment!) is hard no matter how many times you've done it. at our house we call it "baby boot camp".

October 4, 2008 at 5:48 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

i'd just like for you to note the time in the previous post. i must really love you...i haven't even had coffee yet.

October 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home